Confidence commands trust and is key to our overall success in life. Thus, it is important that you learn to speak with confidence
Most people know the fear that comes from speaking in public. There are several things you can do to help you gain confidence in this area. Confidence comes through when you speak. The more you have, or can convince your audience you have, the more confidence they will have in you.
1. Talk about something you know. We all have our limitations, but that doesn’t mean we can’t learn to keep up and share what we know.
2. Listening is just as imperative as asking questions. Sometimes listening to the sound of our own voice can teach us to be more confident with ourselves and to say the things we believe in with confidence.
3. Be willing to make mistakes. Don’t be scared to ask if you’re saying the word correctly and if they’re unsure about it then make a joke out of it.
4. Make eye contact. It’s essential that you keep your focus when talking to a big group in a meeting or a gathering.
5. Have a sense of humor. A little bit of humor can do wonders to relieve the strain, or worse monotony when making your speech.
6. Socialize. Interaction is all about mingling with other people.
7. Record yourself and listen to make sure it comes across as you wish.
8. Smile. A smile says it all much like eye contact.
9. Find a mentor. Find someone who is comfortable with public speaking and try to model yourself after them until you gain your own confidence.
10. Prepare. If you have done all you can to make sure you know your speech thoroughly, you can give it confidently.
Practicing the above steps will help you improve your speaking skills. The more comfortable you become, the more avenues there are opened to you on the road to success.